Monday 22 October 2012

Napier

Napier is famous for it's art deco architecture. They say it is the best example in the world. The previous town was completely destroyed by an earthquake in 1931, so when rebuilding it was when art deco was the latest trend. But on arrival it is definitely not what I expected..............rather than a well preserved art deco town, it has become a total mis-match of buildings and eras. Rather than only allow art deco within the town centre, they haven't really bothered to control it. I did get to see the famous Tobacco Company building though which was pretty stunning.

Another highlight of Napier (for me anyway) is the port. My dad visited this port back when he was in the Merchant Navy, so I just had to have a look. From a good vantage point up on the hill I was lucky that day to see a cargo ship being offloaded. And by the look of the port and surrounds I don't think it would have changed much since my dad's visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment